Thursday, April 14, 2011

4-14-09

All this talk about training can’t overshadow the reason for this blog.  Exactly two years ago today (4-14-09) we watched a little girl take her final steps as a human being. A little girl that used to run the older boys literally into the ground and laugh as they gasped for air. From that day forward until her death on 6-22-09 she was in constant pain and mental torture knowing that she couldn’t run and play like all the other 7 year old children.  I guess that is a pretty obvious metaphor for the reasons why I feel the uncontrollable need to use the hell out of my body.  On that day we were told that the treatments that started on April 24, 2008 basically didn’t work.  Treatments that ended in October of 2008 had put her in ‘remission’ for 6 months.  Don’t get me wrong we are very thankful for the time that we were able to spend with our daughter during treatment and remission.  We made many lifelong memories with friends and family during this time.  Some doctors and research centers will say the treatments that gave a 6 month survival were successful treatments.  Some even go as far as to call them breakthrough treatments.  Well guess what, you will NEVER convince me that 6 month survival is a breakthrough. I know that researchers and doctors work very hard and are a heck of a lot smarter than I am. That doesn’t change the FACT that for our daughter the treatments DID NOT WORK.  In fact I know of cases where the actual treatment caused another cancer to form.  So 6 month survival for someone that should live for another 70+ years.  WRONG ANSWER…it just didn’t work. 

I understand that when someone is starting treatment if a doctor were to say “the next 8 months of hell might not work and you will lose your life anyway” there would be too many people opting out of the treatment that could potentially save their life.  On the back end though, it is irritating as a parent that lost a child to hear “new breakthrough cancer drug…6 month survival rate”.  Is that really all the better we can do!!!!?  I am not sold, I think there should be a higher standard, and if there is a higher standard and the public doesn’t know about it that is just as irritating.  I understand this post could be highly offensive to some.  If so, hopefully you are a doctor or researcher that will actually take heed to being chastised and hold yourself to a higher standard.

20 mile run on Saturday for me, the wife plans to ride bike with, the young lad is still not sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment