Friday, May 13, 2011

Remember the Moms

Thanks to all the participants in the Running for the Ribbons 5K run.  We had our first really nice spring day for the run, a great time was had by all.  Running for me has been less than impressive after the last long run.  Up until 3 days ago my hip was still in pain from the last 18 mile run.  My common sense (wife) suggested going to the doctor if it didn't get better by Wednesday.  I ended up going in on Monday just to find out what was going on.  It turns out I needed new shoes and here I am on Friday with no hip pain.  On the down side, now my common sense knows I don't have a hearing problem and I am going to have to come up with a different excuse for not listening to her.

On the theme of the Mother’s Day Holiday this past weekend, we should celebrate all the wonderful firsts that Mothers get to experience with their children.
Please take a moment of silence for some of the firsts that a cancer Mom endures.
Firsts such as the following:
 The first time she has to use a brush to literally comb out her daughter’s hair after her first round of chemotherapy.
 The first wheelchair ride because the cancer has overtaken her daughter’s spine and can no longer walk. 
The first eye patch to cover one of her daughter’s eyes, so that she no longer sees double, because the cancer has also affected her vision.
The first time her child looks at her with tears in her eyes and searing fear in her voice, barely squeaking out the words “I don’t want to die”
The first time she has to look at her child with tears in her eyes and searing fear in her voice and tell her daughter that she is indeed going to die.
The above are just a few of the firsts that my wife and too many other Mothers are forced to experience.  Please remember it doesn’t matter if your child is 8 or 58 we are all equal in this cancer fight so we must keep up the work. 
 Fargo Marathon in less than 2-weeks – May 21, 2011 – come and support all the runners.

2 comments:

  1. Incredible post, Joe. Thank you for saying it exactly as you feel it. There is nothing more powerful in the fight against cancer than blunt honesty, no matter how difficult the words or images are. Glad your hip is on the mend. Inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joe, I came across your story online, I am running in the Fargo 10K this year with some nephews. I have three wonderful, healthy daughters, along with their fantastic mother. Not one to get to emotional, your story brought me to tears, especially when I read about the brushing hair experience, I just brushed my 7 yr olds hair this morning and I complained about the snarls. What I take for granted just amazed me. I will watch for your results on Sat. I am enclosing my email address and cell#, for I would like to talk to you about your cause, maybe get involved, maybe just talk. I hope you will find the time to get ahold of me. Best of luck with your endeavor and the marathon.
    John Bach
    218-205-1798
    jbach56537@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete